Self Drive holiday Swedish Lapland
Take the wheel and let Swedish Lapland amaze you during this 8 days Self Drive holiday in Swedish Lapland. From the coast, through dense pine forest to alpine surroundings, a breathtakingly beautiful journey that is unlike any other. Experience culture, nature, traditions and taste local food under the midnight sun or northern lights during Autumn.
Since prehistoric times the Sámi people of Arctic Europe have lived and worked in this area. They have followed their reindeer to different seasonal grazing areas for thousands of years. During this holiday you will visit traditional Sámi places like Jokkmokk, Arvidsjaur and Jukkasjärvi. Following a well-researched route into Laponia World Heritage Site with dramatic mountain formations.
During this self drive holiday, you will learn about the lifestyle of the people who lived here in the north thousands of years ago, and all the way up to modern times
Hiking, canoeing, sightseeing
The locations chosen provide great opportunities for short hikes, canoeing, fishing and guided tours. Some places even offer sightseeing flights with helicopter, an amazing way to see the mountains and nature from a bird eye’s perspective.
200km North from the Arctic circle you will visit the original ICEHOTEL. The world renowned hotel and art exhibition made of ice and snow from the pristine Torne River. The river has an impressive length of 520 kilometres, which you will follow until it flows out into the open sea!
- Experience and learn more about the indigenous Sámi culture
- Visit to Sámi village; Arvidsjaur, Jokkmokk and Jukkasjärvi
- Taste local food: Smoked whitefish, arctic char, cloud berries, reindeer and moose
- Cross the Arctic Circle
- Spot wildlife as Reindeer and Moose
- Picturesque landscapes for photography
- Refresh and recharge by the stunning nature of Stora Sjöfallet national park. Storforsen and Sjaunja nature reserve
- Visit to the ICEHOTEL, the world renowned hotel and art exhibition made of ice and snow
- Amazed by seasonal surprise: never-set midnight sun in Summer; aurora borealis in Autumn
- UNESCO World Heritage sites: Gammelstad and Laponia